Academic Standards Committee Petition
Undergraduate students wishing to petition for a waiver of academic rules regarding matters of probation, suspension, dismissal, and other rules and regulations related to academic progress and graduation should submit a petition to the Academic Standards Committee. This committee is composed of faculty and students and serves as a referral body for these issues. Students wishing to submit a petition should follow the directions below. For more detailed information regarding the petitioning process, students should visit his/her college's dean's office or the Office of the Registrar.
- Download the Academic Standards Committee petition form. This form is for undergraduate students only and is to be used for all academic petitions except as noted below. To view or print, you must have Adobe Reader (free download).
Do not use the Academic Standards Committee Petition form in these cases:
- Undergraduate students who are petitioning for readmission from their first academic dismissal and who have not attended the UA for at least one full academic year and who submit at least 12 hours of general education core classes or upper-level classes with at least a 3.0 grade-point average in this coursework can be considered for automatic readmission and should only complete the shorter Request to Return After Academic Dismissal form. Students who do not meet these conditions must complete the full Academic Standards Committee petition form.
- Undergraduate students seeking permission to take more hours than normally allowed in a term must complete the Overload Petition form.
Follow all directions outlined on page one of the petition. Letters of recommendation are needed for some types of petitions, thus it is recommended to start early to ensure your petition is complete.
- Submit your petition by the deadline. Petitions are to be submitted to the appropriate Dean’s office within five working days before the meeting of the Academic Standards Committee as posted on the committee’s calendar.
- The Committee will notify you by email. To ensure you are informed of the committee's action regarding your request, please be sure to submit a correct email address on the petition.