Final grades for courses are "A," "B," "C," "D," and "F" (except for courses taken in the Fay Jones School of Architecture and the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences).

Grades and Marks

Grade/Mark Given For: Points
A Outstanding achievement, given to a relatively small number of excellent scholars 4
B Good achievement 3
C Average achievement 2
D Poor but passing work 1
F Failure, unsatisfactory work 0
XF Failure, academic dishonesty 0
I Incomplete course requirements N/A
AU Audit, officially registered N/A
CR Credit without grade points N/A
S Satisfactory work in courses w/o credit N/A
W Withdrawal N/A

A mark of "CR" (Credit) is given for a course (for example, practice teaching, certain seminars, certain honors colloquia, and courses where credit is earned by examination) for which the University allows credit toward a degree, but for which no grade points are earned.

A mark of "S" (Satisfactory) is assigned in courses such as special problems and research when a final grade is inappropriate. The mark "S" is not assigned to courses or work for which credit is given (and thus no grade points are earned for such work). If credit is awarded upon the completion of such work, a grade or mark may be assigned at that time, and, if a grade is assigned, grade points will be earned.

A mark of "AU" (Audit) is given to a student who officially registers in a course for audit purposes (see Registration for Audit).

A mark of "W" (Withdrawal) will be given for courses from which students withdraw after the first 10 days of the semester and before the drop deadline of the semester.

"I," "AU," "CR," "S," and "W" marks will not be counted in the grade point average. Grades of plus and minus are assigned grade point values in the Dale Bumpers College of Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences and the Fay Jones School of Architecture and Design. The grade point average is computed by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of credit hours attempted in courses for which grades (rather than marks) are given. Students who utilized grade renewal or grade forgiveness in retaking courses (prior to Fall Semester 1986 and after Fall 1996) have only the last grade used in computing grade point averages.

Incomplete Grades

A mark of "I" may be assigned when a legitimate good cause has prevented the student from completing all course requirements, and the work completed is of passing quality. It is the discretion of the instructor that determines what qualifies as a legitimate good cause. It is recommended that the instructor, prior to the assignment of an "I" mark, document the legitimate good cause and conditions for completing course requirements. An "I" so assigned may be changed to a grade provided all course requirements have been completed within 12 months from the beginning of the next semester (excluding summer semesters) of the student's enrollment after receiving the "I." If the instructor does not report the grade within the 12-month period, the "I" shall be changed to an "F." When a mark of "I" is changed to a final grade, the grade points and academic standing are appropriately adjusted on the student's official academic records.

No credit is earned for courses in which a grade of "F" is recorded. A final grade of "F" shall be assigned to a student who is failing on the basis of work completed and who has not completed all requirements. The instructor may change an "F" so assigned to a passing grade if warranted by satisfactory completion of all requirements. Students who fail to present an acceptable reason for not having completed all course requirements including the final examination will receive the grade they would have received had they failed such requirements.

Final Grades

Campus Council policy (1978) provides that instructors for on-campus courses are to report final grades as soon as possible and no later than two working days following the end of the final exam period.

Early Progress Grades

The Campus Council has gone on record as "affirming the fundamental responsibility of instructors to inform students of their progress in courses as accurately and completely as possible." In meeting this responsibility, early progress grades are entered into the web-based facility by faculty at the end of six weeks for students in 1000- and 2000-level courses. Early progress grade reports are issued to students in the seventh week, as soon as possible following submission by instructors, with the reports made available to deans' offices for advisors.

Entering/Changing Grades

For more information on entering and changing grades refer the following documentation:

UAConnect information, including training documentation, can be found at the UAConnect homepage.